Saturday, Aug. 28, 2021 9:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. EDT
Anyone interested in the hobby of growing and collecting figs is invited to join us in Chattanooga, TN for 2021 "Fig Frolic 2.0" on Saturday, Aug 28th 9:30 am EDT. Everyone is welcome, from the expert fig fanatic to the fignorant. We’re getting figgy with it. Got a fig shirt or other ‘fig attire’? Let your fig-obsessed freak flag fly! You have found your people! There is no charge to attend, but pre-registration is important for logistical reasons. We are going to have a fig frolicking good time! We hope this event will be a fig hit. If you think this sounds like a figgin’ fun time and want to join us, keep reading to learn more…
Planned activities include:
• WHITE ELEPHANT – How it works: Each participant draws a number. The person who draws number 1 goes first and selects a fig tree to take home…or trade. Number 2 goes next and so on. We hope everyone will be able to leave with a fig tree of their own to take home and grow. The only way this will work is if our veteran figgers bring extra trees to donate for this. Set air layers or start cuttings now. Make certain that the variety name and your name is attached to each tree you bring. If you do not have a tree to bring, no worries. We got you covered.
• EDUCATION – Topics, speakers, and schedule will soon be released
• FIG SWAP – If you have trees you want to swap, bring them with you. Make certain the variety name and your name are attached to each tree you bring. We will have red tags available to hang on any tree that you do not want to trade. [FYI…as a courtesy to Ooltewah Nursery, no selling please.]
• SHOPPING – Ooltewah Nursery is allowing us to host this event on their 16-acre property. ONLC is the largest garden center within 75 miles of Chattanooga, and has twice been named the top garden center in the Southeast. The nursery wants to welcome you by gifting attendees with a special coupon for our group only. Plan to come early and shop before the event starts. Wear cool comfy clothes and shoes for walking. You will receive your coupon when you check in, so don’t check out at the nursery until you check in with us! Nursery hours: Sat 8:00 a.m.- 6:00 p.m.; Sun 12:00-5:00 p.m. EDT. (Coupon will be valid for either day.)
• BEVERAGES – Beverages will be provided, such as bottled water, assorted sodas, and sweet or unsweet tea, as well as ice and cups. Feel free to bring your own if you prefer, or order some fresh kombucha from the caterer
– Order your boxed lunch, or bring a brown bag. Order your boxed lunch HERE
. The caterer will deliver the lunches at noon. The deadline to order is Aug 21, 2021. We are also hoping to do a fig-tasting, so if you have ripe figs to share, feel free to bring them. If you know the variety name, bring that, too.
9:00-9:50 - Welcome! Check-in and drop off your fig trees for the White Elephant.
10:00 - Workshop: Dr. Hilliard Lawler "How to do a Patch Graft"
10:45 - Break to mingle, chat, shop, and trade
11:45 – Caterer arrives with Box Lunches
12:00 – Lunch & Mingle continues
12:30 – White Elephant (continue enjoying your lunch)
1:00 – Keynote Speaker: John Russell "The Figs of Louisiana"
2:00 – Stay and hang, like a ripe fig, as long as you wish. (Nursery closed at 5:00 p.m.)
– Free, of course, but pre-registration is requested so that we can plan for seating, refreshments, etc. will also greatly speed up your check-in upon arrival. Pre-registration is available online. Once you register, you will receive tickets by email. Print and bring those with you, or just show us the QR code on your phone. We will scan it, and you are checked in. Register HERE
– We have a block of rooms reserved at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott. We have negotiated a discounted group rate. The deadline to reserve your room is Aug. 6th, or until the block is filled. We recommend that you do not delay in reserving a room as we have been told that there are two softball tournaments happening the same weekend and rooms are already limited. This is a newly built hotel that includes hot breakfast buffet, parking, Wi-Fi, and more, and is less than a mile away. . To get the discounted rate, you must use this link, or call the hotel directly (423-301-5669) and asking for the 'Fig Frolic' rate. To reserve your room, click HERE
– Chattanooga has a great airport only 11 miles away. If you are looking at flying in, our airport code is CHA. Airlines servicing CHA are Delta, United, AA, and Allegiant. Airport website: https://www.chattairport.com/
COVID – We will continue to monitor the pandemic situation as it changes. This event will follow the CDC’s guidelines in place at the time of the event.
This event is organized by Angel Miller and Ian Matthes, and hosted at Ooltewah Nursery.
More info and photos on the Facebook Event Page HERE